Saturday, June 19, 2010

True Colors?

This is another exploration of color in photography.

I took this photograph at about 8 in the morning on a sunny. I was standing on the short of the Hudson River on the New Jersey side (in Hoboken) and was shooting east across the Hudson  River and, ipso facto, into the sun. In this particular shot I was pointed almost directly in the sun's direction, though the sun was above the focal point of the shot, though still relatively low on the horizon. Thus the visual field, and the camera, was flooded with light. The buildings appeared as ghostly forms behind a luminous gauze; they did not appear solid.


The above image is what came out of the camera. I converted from RAW (the camera's native format) to JPG without any manipulation of the image. As best I can recall, the scene didn't actually look like that. The scene was far more luminous, while the photo is dull. Yet, it does convey the sense of immateriality of the buildings. The next image is my first rendering of the scene.


The rest of the images are other renderings of the scene. Is any truer than the others? By what criterion?



No comments:

Post a Comment